Friday, November 18, 2011

Lincoln Cents Update

I finally bit the bullet and went online to buy my 1938-S Lincoln cent. I always knew it wasn't a very expensive coin so I can't imagine why I didn't already have it.

Imagine looking at your Lincoln cent collection and noticing you have four (4) empty spaces. Those would be, of course, the 1938-S, the 1909-S, 1909-S VDB and the 1922 D (no D).

Imagine if you filled the rest of the book from 1909 to 2012 from circulating cents, bags and bags of 'wheat' cent, and one incomplete Whitman inherited from your father-in-law. 

You would be wondering what in the world happened that you don't have a 1938-S. There were 15,180,000 minted. And that is no where near a rarity compared to some of the other years and mint marks.

Well, I wondered why I didn't have it. I checked some of my favorite online coin merchants (none of which, by the way, are on eBay) and didn't find one available. So, since I am a member of Coin World and the entire Amos group, I decided to search for it on their website. One of their advertisers, Coast to Coast Coins, had the item and wanted $14.95 for it. They advertised it as being "near-BU" so I took a chance. 

The coin I received had no obvious flaws, was nicely toned for a Lincoln cent, and would probably grade EF-40 to EF-45 and, in my humble opinion, was very worth the price!

No comments: