Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A New Venture in Coin Collecting

Today, I made a decision that will change the way I decide where to spend my discretionary numismatic dollars.

I was reading Coin World and saw an article about the Canadian 50 cent non-circulating dinosaur coin. Intrigued, I did some more investigating into this unique looking coin. It is bi-metal with a Tyrannosaurus sort of critter. What I thought was cool was the way the dino would 'jump' out at you when you tilted the obverse.
OK. Maybe a little bit of a child is coming out in me. But since my daughter studied to become a paleontologist and my wife is a geologist (with big interest in those big extinct critters), I figure it's OK for me to have a desire to collect coins with that theme.
So, I spent two months budget getting the 2008, 2009, and 2010 versions of all of the Canadian dinosaur coins.
Then, I noticed the New Zealand 1 oz Ancient Reptiles silver coins! Wow. Great looking. But I hesitate to fork over USD$431.00 for five 1-ounce coins. Maybe in the future.
But I have another passion now - dinosaur and pre-historic reptile coins. Cool.

No comments: