Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Dinosaur Valley State Park Photos (Finally)

UPDATE: I corrected the spelling of 'lamp chop' to the more correct 'lamb chop' based on the keen eyes of a spell-checker friend of mine.

Instead of just inserting the photos into the previous post concerning the camping adventure to Dinosaur Valley State Park, I have decided to grace all my ones of reader with new text to go along with the photos.
First off, let me tell you that, on this trip, we were accompanied by our first-time travel companion, Bobby O'Bear.  As you can see, Bobby is Irish and was selected mainly because this trip happened to fall on Saint Patrick's Day!

Of course, we also had to go a little bit out of the direct path and make a stop in Dublin, Texas! This town isn't all that large in size but they have really big Irish hearts here and everything (and I mean EveryThing) revolves around the Blarney Stone and the Irish heritage. Totally worth the excursion.
Bobby O'Bear also spent some time helping us with our campsite routine. First, he there grilling our lamb chops on the attached grill. I personally think he did an outstanding job and, as you can see from my Sweetie's smile, he is very diligent about his work while he tells some large Irish tales.

Later on, Bobby and my Sweetie share a bit of the Irish. Well, actually, I think my Sweetie was more concerned with the pain in the hand than much of anything else so she mostly had Ginger Ale instead of beer or whiskey but Bobby definitely preferred having a hard cider over the soft drinks.

Regardless, my Sweetie and Bobby O'Bear completely enjoyed the evening and were seen hugging each other throughout most of the night! I was even getting a bit jealous :)

But this bear wasn't the only thing that had its picture taken during this trip. The real reason we visited this park was to get some looks at the dinosaur prints. Unfortunately, the Paluxy River was running pretty high and fast so we were able to get only one photo (and that one isn't too good) of the prints. This one appears to be Acrocanthosaurus if you can see it well enough. I've enhanced this photo a little bit to show the contrast some more. The other prints were too far under the water to see them let alone get a decent photo of them.
 
 And speaking of the Paluxy River running too high, my Sweetie decided to take a little walk in the raging torrent. Here in this photo, you can see that she is really saying, "OMG! That water is frickin' cold!"

Then, she goes on record as saying, "It's really great out here. I love the feel of the sand and mud squishing between my toes and it's really not all that cold out here anyway."  I really enjoyed watching her cavort in the river and try not to walk on the Very Slick rocks. 

We originally wanted to hike on the other side of the river but we didn't anticipate the water being so high. I didn't want to get my hiking shoes soaked plus I don't think I'm as sure footed as I once was. So, instead of hiking, we decided to play around on the bank, talk to a black crested titmouse, and generally enjoy ourselves. While walking around, we found some interesting bluebonnets!

My Sweetie adores these famous Texas wildflowers and, if she had her way, would probably have an entire ranch covered with them. Me, I think I'd prefer maybe a couple of acres out front, alongside the blacktop so others could enjoy them and I'd not have to worry about the goats eating them.

Most of the time, I followed my Sweetie around, hoping to run into some dinosaurs but that never seemed to happen. I tended to get lost in the woods and have my guide and soul mate bring me back to the camper. All in all, a totally good time.


No comments:

Post a Comment