Saturday, April 13, 2013

Palo Duro Canyon SP - Again!

My Sweetie and I have been unable, for one reason or another, to use our camper in 2013 until this April. And, due to the possibility that we might be moving to Houston in the summer, we decided that another trip to one of our favorite parks (ever!) should take priority.

I decided to take a look at the weather. Historically, the middle part of April should have very mild weather - and to me that means the temps are not over 95! So, mid-April seemed perfect as Sweetie could get a couple of days off and we could make a 3-night, 4-day trip up there.

We packed up Rocky and our new bear, TXGeolady, and headed north towards the high plains of the Texas Panhandle. Getting to the SP was easy as was the check-in. Deciding to try a campground as far into the park as possible, we pulled into our spot, set up Rocky, and relaxed immediately!

I won't take about the Palo Duro Canyon SP as I have rated it previously (my rating post) and haven't really changed my mind about it. I will, however, go on a rant about how bloody cold it got and how windy it was! All three nights started out really great with a mild temperature, great stars, and a comfortable breeze blowing across us as we gently moved from wide awake to relaxing slumber.

Give me a break. The wind started gusting as the cold front moved in and we were experiencing gusts upwards of 30 or 35 mph. Poor Rocky was being rocked and rolled. Sweetie and I decided that three blankets would be the going rate on all three nights as temperatures dipped to 31 with the wind chill. (Note to self: maybe I ought to zip up the sides of the camper BEFORE going to bed.)

Regardless of the chilly nights, the days were beautiful and the hikes were amazing. On the next to last day, we decided to drive into Amarillo and visit the Jack Sizemore Traveland RV Museum. Turns out, this is a great little bit of RV history and well worth the visit! After that, we headed over to the Big Texan restaurant to have lunch. No, I did not try the 72 oz. steak challenge - even if I wanted to see how big that dang thing would be.

Once again, My Sweetie and I had a blast camping. On Tuesday, we were starting to pack up when we noticed that we had a visitor sometime during the night. Yep. A four-footed mammal had entered our camper, found and ate a pistachio we had dropped on the floor, and made serious do-do in our sink. I figure it was the endangered Palo Duro Canyon mouse, known to exist in only three counties in Texas. Still, we didn't want to have a permanent resident in our camper. After getting back home, we opened up the camper and decided our visitor just wanted to get a free meal, a bit of water, and an evening out of the wind as we found no signs of him/her here.

No comments:

Post a Comment